Hierarchical organisational structure puts the authority and responsibility on the top side of the company and makes them flow down from the top to the lowest level gradually. This model works like a pyramid and centralizes all power and duties on people who stand on the peak of organisational structure. To assess this type of management style, it has advantages as well as disadvantages.
Advantages of Hierarchical Organisational Structure
Everything in Hierarchical Organisational Structure is going to be organized and stabilized and there is less likely to get authority and obligation disordered. All the employees know exactly what position they are in and also know what job they have to do. Fixed rules of intra-organization procedures and structures is set and usually written in language, which leaves no discretion for interpretation. Most importantly, under this organisational structure, goals are clearly defined turning out to be suitable for all type of businesses. Also the objective will be clear so task can be done in time.
Disadvantages of Hierarchical Organisational Structure
However it barely allows flexibility, long term-planning, and creativity, ending with stiffness and dictatorship in management. Some leaders may be overburdened while some coordinates stay idle; some departments may pay too much attention to local target and interests but ignore overall objective and interests; schedule of the whole project might be affected extremely when some leaders are out of work. Moreover, this hierarchical organisational structure leaves little communication between employees causing a lack of team spirit. So workers may be jealousy when one gets promoted. They may not agree on the changes within the company and unwisely express that. This way, moral of organization is going to get bad.
Here are some photo org chart templates for your reference. These templates are well designed, perfectly aligned, spaced and colored. See the following screenshots.
Our org chart creator supports to insert photos into org chart easily. You just need to click on the target shape’s floating button. What is amazing about our org chart creator is that, each inserted photo is glued to its target shape. They won’t separate when you move shapes or the whole org chart.
After you replace the photos in the org chart templates, the program automatically resize the photos to fit the shape. You can also reduce photo size by dragging their blue square handles. After you select the shape, click on the default picture to show the blue selection handles.
You need to think about many factors except for price when choosing the best org chart creator. The cheap and powerful org chart will be the desired option. As for the usability, an effective org chart creator should include the following capabilities.
Data Import Function
Usually, many companies have already saved an Excel file of the employees’ information. A good org chart creator must offer data import function. Through this function, users can turn the Excel file into a visual org chart instantly. Thus saves both time and effort.
Professional Org Charting Tools
By specialized, it means that these tools are professionally designed and can ease the process of org charting. It will be awesome if the org chart creator can generate, connect, align and space shapes automatically. Our org chart creator is such a tool that is popular all over the world, saving users tons of time moving adjusting and reconnecting shapes.
Different kinds of org chart need to be laid out differently for the best appearance. Choose the software that offers advanced lay out capacity so that you can lay out the chart in an easy way. If nit suitable, you can always change the style quickly through the point-and-click editor.
Auto Relayout Feature
The org chart often requires update for the high staff turnover especially in large companies. The auto relayout feature allows modification any time. After deleting or adding some shapes, 1 click on the Relayout command will rearrange everything perfectly.
Text and Format Tools
Two more factors to weigh when selecting or chart creator are text and format tools. Adding visual elements such as design and color themes, picture inserting and graphics style options are worthy of consideration. Our org chart shapes are all designed with text boxes which are adjustable. Its advanced formatting tools allow perfect layout with only 1 click. If you still want to be able to easily add backgrounds or color gradients, rely on us. Being able to easily customize the look of your org chart is definitely of great importance.
You can rely on a much better tool than PowerPoint Smartart to create org charts. Right here, you can learn how to make both simple and complex org chart in PowerPoint format step by step. Our org chart creator is easy and effective, supports to add, align, and rearrange shapes automatically.
1. Click File Tab. Choose Org Chart type.
2. Double click the icon of Org Chart to open the stencil.
3. Drag and drop a shape to the canvas.
4. Click the floating button on the bottom of the shape to add subordinate.
5. Except for the first shape on the highest level, other shapes all have 2 floating buttons. Click the button on right side of the box to add colleagues.
Note: the newly added shapes are automatically connected and aligned with the previous ones.
6. Using text box. Click anywhere inside the shape you want to add text to. The blinking text line appears and just start typing. Do that for every box.
7. Changing the Colors of the whole chart. Go to Page Layout tab. Choose another Theme.
8. Changing Shape Fill. Go to the Styles section located beneath the Home tab. Select one style you like. Click the drop-down menu for more style options.
9. Click the Export Button on the Quick Access Toolbar. Scroll down to choose MS PowerPoint File to export the chart.
Create both simple and complicated org charts in Word format with a specialized org chart creator. We should know that MS Word’s default org chart template are too simple to fit all occasions. If you want to create a complicated org chart, you can rely on our program. It is enhanced with automatic generation function, various templates and seamless integration with MS Word. Here are 2 example.
See how to gain Word org chart instantly in our org chart creator.
- Start the program and choose org chart drawing type.
- Drag and drop a manager shape onto the canvas as the top shape.
- Click the floating action button to add subordinate.
Except for the manager shape, all other shapes have 2 floating buttons. Click the right floating button is to add colleagues and the bottom one to add subordinates.
- After adding enough shapes, double click the shape to type in text to show names, titles and other information of all members of the organization.
- With some simple steps, a great org chart can be made. Now, you can export it into Word format.
- Hit the export button (a blue 4-head arrow) on the Quick Access Toolbar.
- Choose MS Word File to export the org chart.
After exported, the file can be opened within the program. The designer can continue to edit it, such as changing the color, size and apply Word quick style. Isn’t that simple?
Benefits of Org Chart – Organize. Visualize. Strategize.
Org charts can benefit business a lot; therefore they become very popular with enterprises. Here are the top reasons why people use org chart.
- Organize the structure for more reasonable departmentation.
- Visualize the workforce to make it understandable at a glance.
- Strategize the company’s development through pre-planned task assignments.
- Show the promotion channels to lift employees’ spirit and motivation.
- Demonstrate all staff clearly for easier human resources management.
- Illustrate the relationship and hierarchy clearly for better acknowledgement of responsibilities and rights.
- Present the visual job assignment so that no talent will be neglected and no unqualified employee is appointed.
- Suitable workload can be arranged assisted by org chart to avoid work overload.
- Better employee performance can be obtained with org chart showcasing report to relationship and partner relationship.
- Seamless collaboration within a department or between different divisions can be gained as org chart depicts the all areas’ functions.
Org Chart Templates
Besides illustrating the workforce, org charts can be applied by HR managers to handle some other basic work more easily. See how they help below.
- Specify Work Responsibilities
In addition to the basic information, org charts can be used to illustrate more details about staff such as work responsibilities. When duties responsibilities are clearly delineated, they can be fulfilled more efficiently. If a certain process goes wrong, the person in charge can be found out at once to seek for remedies.
- Visualize Work Relationship
With the reporting relation clearly shown, the work relationship can be understood at a glance. For example, in a project, one should figure out whom to partner with, whom to report to and who can offer help.
- Establish Hierarchical Structure or Decision-making and Power
The hierarchical relationship between different people is visualized clearly in org charts. To think out of the box, org charts are not relevant to only the lower rung of management (Executives and Staff Officers) but also to middle or higher management (Managers, GMs, DCEOs and CEOs). In regard to the sharing of power, the org charts can offer transparency which can reduce misunderstanding and friction.
- Serve as an Information Gate
No matter what is your title, you need to interact with others from time to time at work. Especially when you are a new member, org charts offer you useful information that can help you get on track as soon as possible. For instance, from the org chart, you may be able to find out who you request stationery from, whose approval you need when asking for leave, where each department is located and so on.
Org Chart Examples
Here are some awesome org chart examples that created by our amazing org chart creator.
For more ready-made templates please visit Org Chart Templates.
KPI is shorted for key performance indicator. It is a type of business metric used to evaluate factors that are crucial to the success of an organization. It demonstrates how effectively a company is performing to achieve key business targets and let organizations know if they are on track. As KPI is a performance measurement tool, it can be associated with an org chart. By presenting the KPI in an org chart, you can clearly identify the quantifiable performance measures for each position.
Here shows a road construction company’s organizational chart:
This is the the KPI org chart:
An effective organizational structure for production department is vital in both saving cost and enhancing work efficiency. Here is a detail production department organizational chart clearly shows the whole structure of the production process.
This simple org chart example is created using Org Chart Creator, and it’s done in just a few minutes. Try org chart creator to present any hierarchical organizational structure and gain quality organization visualization for your company.
An organizational chart is an important part of an organization, as it’s the guidance of employee hierarchy relations. However, some small businesses choose to omit this step as their employee relationships are clear to see. This seems not wise. Why small businesses also need org charts? An org chart means much more than just outlining the reporting relationships of the staffs. It has many potential benefits on managing human resources issues. Now let’s talk about some key benefits of organizational charts:
- An org chart shows the internal structure and hierarchies of an organization visually.
- From an org chart, employee will know who to report and who to contact when problem occurs.
- Org chart helps employees to clarify their roles and responsibilities so as to improve employee performance.
- Org chart can help new employees quickly learn about the company and their own position.
- Modern org chart can also be used as an effective tool to manage employee information by saving employee data in the chart.
- It helps prevent the overlapping or duplication of work.
- It helps clearly identify works and tasks, so as to prevent the overlapping or duplication of work.
- Org chart can effectively help managers manage the workload. With an org chart, it’s clear to see how many employees are under a certain department, or how many units a manager need to take charge of.
- It helps make decisions fast. Based on clear visualization of the organization structure, you will have a clear view on how each department has done the job, and what’s the future direction.
- with an org chart, it’s easy to see the promotion channels, and promote the optimum allocation of staff.