Functional org chart is one of several common organizational structure diagrams many companies have adopted, and a clear depiction of how people are organized. Wherein employees are segmented basing on their skills and specialties. Usually, people are grouped into departments and made to report to and follow their department manager. Each functional manager is responsible for supervision and direction with his or her department subordinates. This article aims for explanation of functional org chart by five characteristics.
- It Fits Small Companies Well
As for small companies, their functional org charts get low hierarchy layers therefore it’s concise and clear which can make the company operate efficiently. Functional org chart performs well when the hierarchy layer is less than four. While as company expands to a very larg one, functional org chart would be much more complicated and redundant even cause bureaucracy which would make it hard to management and organization to response to outer market quickly.
- One-line Reporting Rules
Unlike matrix org chart, functional org chart forms vertically. One person is required to report to only one top manager which can avoid disorders in taking directions and generate great efficiency in work. It provides employees with great opportunities to get promoted from strong sense of competition.
- Development of Specialists
Functional org chart puts together those with similar expertises in the same field. So workers can become better at their field through discussion and knowledge sharing. In addition, high quality in-depth training can give workers clear goals and right direction to reach them.
- High Productivity
Expertise generates high efficiency in work and improves productivity level. Since people with similar skills cluster in the same departments, it is possible for workers to do tasks effectively and confidently with lower rate in occurrence of work-related mistakes because of assistance and advice from their department members.
- Ignorance in Big Picture
Workers possibly get too much focused on their own departments’ goals to neglect cooperation with other departments ending with terrible ignorance in the big picture of their company.
To have a better understanding of how a restaurant works, we make a restaurant organizational chart for your reference. As shown in the picture, both bookkeeper and general manager report to the owner.
The general manager must be proficient in all stations. They are in charge of many things like restaurant performance, recruitment, training, menu design, food cost, environment improvement, financial planning and customer service. And there are usually 2 Assist. Managers and a Kitchen Manager in a restaurant to follow General Manager’s orders and help to run the restaurant. One is in charge of management of Servers, Hosts and Bussers and the other Bartenders, and Bar Backs.
The figure below is an organizational chart for Rio 2016 Olympic Games. It illustrates the layout of Olympic Games organization and how the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is hosted smoothly. It’s drawn in Org Chart Creator, a fantastic org chart maker tool.
The following parts will show you how to make it in Org Chart Creator.
Select a Template
In the templates, select organizational chart. Then we choose City Org Chart as a quick start, also you can choose other examples. Lick the example you want to add it into your drawing page.View More Templates
Edit the Template to Your Liking
- Delete unwanted boxes. Left-click the box, and press Delete on your keyboard.
- Add Boxes.
Right-click the box which you want to add a box to, then you can click Add Subordinates or Add Assistant. You can also place your mouse pointer on the box which you want to edit, and then here comes the two small icons. You can click the one on the bottom to add subordinate and the one on the right to add a colleague.
- Replace content in the boxes with your text. It is quite easy. Double-click the box and type your information.
- Polish your boxes.
Click the exact box you want to polish, and toolbar emerges on the left. You can alter the box with effects of shadow, lines and filling.
- Layout of your chart.
You can click box on the top and then click Relayout or click the left icon circled in the screenshot in the toolbar to distribute your organizational chart automatically. Also you can customize the distribution of your organizational chart by dragging specific boxes.
- Applying a theme to organizational chart.
Click Page Layout, and you will see many themes. Left-click one of them to apply it to your organizational chart.
Can you make an organizational chart with Org Chart Creator?
Have a try.Download
It’s featured with:
Plenty of Ready-made Templates
As you can see in the picture, many types of org chart templates are included in this tool like business photo org chart, city org chart, company org chart, department org chart, finical org chart etc. You don’t want to draw the org chart step by step? It’s ok. Select one of them and edit it to your liking. This way, you can have your org chart finished within seconds.
If you are drawing in all by yourself, the auto-layout function may get the whole work much easier. Just one click and all the elements in the canvas stand in the right place.
Add Files to Org Chart
Various Exported Formats
As for a small company, the organizational structure chart must be concise and complete so that the whole company can be operated, with the least expense, normally and smoothly.
The responsibility of every fragment:
Board of Directors
Be responsible for some key decisions on investment and strategies of the whole company.
- Set out company’s mid-long-term development strategy and management plan and promote the implementation of them.
- Preside overall management of company’s operating, and profit objectives. Organize and implement resolutions of Board of Directors.
- Deal with emergencies and major problems in relation with other companies.
- Responsible for the company’s daily financial accounting.
- Allocate the funds properly to ensure the company’s continuous functioning.
- Responsible for the check and issue of wages.
System Integration Department
- Responsible for the specific implementation in terms of existing project book.
- Assist project department with project wiring and pre-sale technical support.
- Management of project material.
- Responsible for the maintenance and design for company’s internal network.
Personnel Administration Department
- Involved in administration of the company.
- Responsible for personnel rating and recruitment.
Sales & Marketing Department
- Be supposed to complete the month, quarter, annual sales target issued by the relevant person.
- Enact marketing strategy according the development plan and the actual situation.
- Formulate the promotion plan as well as to put it into practice.
- Engaged in the research and analysis of the market.
- Develop new business and manage clients.
- Responsible for product’s installation, debugging and maintenance.
- Offer pre and post sales support including consulting and repair.
- Ensure the company’s internal system run normally.
- Deal with planning, deployment and implementation of a new project.
- Collection and communication of new technology.
Here are some photo org chart templates for your reference. These templates are well designed, perfectly aligned, spaced and colored. See the following screenshots.
Our org chart creator supports to insert photos into org chart easily. You just need to click on the target shape’s floating button. What is amazing about our org chart creator is that, each inserted photo is glued to its target shape. They won’t separate when you move shapes or the whole org chart.
After you replace the photos in the org chart templates, the program automatically resize the photos to fit the shape. You can also reduce photo size by dragging their blue square handles. After you select the shape, click on the default picture to show the blue selection handles.
You can rely on a much better tool than PowerPoint Smartart to create org charts. Right here, you can learn how to make both simple and complex org chart in PowerPoint format step by step. Our org chart creator is easy and effective, supports to add, align, and rearrange shapes automatically.
1. Click File Tab. Choose Org Chart type.
2. Double click the icon of Org Chart to open the stencil.
3. Drag and drop a shape to the canvas.
4. Click the floating button on the bottom of the shape to add subordinate.
5. Except for the first shape on the highest level, other shapes all have 2 floating buttons. Click the button on right side of the box to add colleagues.
Note: the newly added shapes are automatically connected and aligned with the previous ones.
6. Using text box. Click anywhere inside the shape you want to add text to. The blinking text line appears and just start typing. Do that for every box.
7. Changing the Colors of the whole chart. Go to Page Layout tab. Choose another Theme.
8. Changing Shape Fill. Go to the Styles section located beneath the Home tab. Select one style you like. Click the drop-down menu for more style options.
9. Click the Export Button on the Quick Access Toolbar. Scroll down to choose MS PowerPoint File to export the chart.
Create both simple and complicated org charts in Word format with a specialized org chart creator. We should know that MS Word’s default org chart template are too simple to fit all occasions. If you want to create a complicated org chart, you can rely on our program. It is enhanced with automatic generation function, various templates and seamless integration with MS Word. Here are 2 example.
See how to gain Word org chart instantly in our org chart creator.
- Start the program and choose org chart drawing type.
- Drag and drop a manager shape onto the canvas as the top shape.
- Click the floating action button to add subordinate.
Except for the manager shape, all other shapes have 2 floating buttons. Click the right floating button is to add colleagues and the bottom one to add subordinates.
- After adding enough shapes, double click the shape to type in text to show names, titles and other information of all members of the organization.
- With some simple steps, a great org chart can be made. Now, you can export it into Word format.
- Hit the export button (a blue 4-head arrow) on the Quick Access Toolbar.
- Choose MS Word File to export the org chart.
After exported, the file can be opened within the program. The designer can continue to edit it, such as changing the color, size and apply Word quick style. Isn’t that simple?
Benefits of Org Chart – Organize. Visualize. Strategize.
Org charts can benefit business a lot; therefore they become very popular with enterprises. Here are the top reasons why people use org chart.
- Organize the structure for more reasonable departmentation.
- Visualize the workforce to make it understandable at a glance.
- Strategize the company’s development through pre-planned task assignments.
- Show the promotion channels to lift employees’ spirit and motivation.
- Demonstrate all staff clearly for easier human resources management.
- Illustrate the relationship and hierarchy clearly for better acknowledgement of responsibilities and rights.
- Present the visual job assignment so that no talent will be neglected and no unqualified employee is appointed.
- Suitable workload can be arranged assisted by org chart to avoid work overload.
- Better employee performance can be obtained with org chart showcasing report to relationship and partner relationship.
- Seamless collaboration within a department or between different divisions can be gained as org chart depicts the all areas’ functions.
Org Chart Templates
Org Chart Resources Center
Definition of Org Chart
An organizational chart (often called organization chart, org chart, organigram(me), or organogram(me)) is a diagram that shows the structure of an organization and the relationships and relative ranks of its parts and positions/jobs. The term is also used for similar diagrams, for example ones showing the different elements of a field of knowledge or a group of languages.
Possible Relationship in an Org Chart
Line – direct relationship between superior and subordinate.
Lateral – relationship between different departments on the same hierarchical level.
Staff – relationship between a managerial assistant and other areas. The assistant will be able to offer advice to a line manager. However, they have no authority over the line manager actions.
Functional – relationships between specialist positions and other areas. The specialist will normally have authority to insist that a line manager implements any of their instructions.
Automatic Org Chart Creator
An automatic org chart creator does the drawing for you and has automated many parts of the design process. Our org chart creator is definitely the optimal choice to make org chart of various styles, simple or complicated. It offers all necessary elements for users to get the job done easily. Premade org chart shapes support drag and drop use. Well-design and perfectly formatted templates help you get started with lightning speed. Advanced tools allow you to make modifications anytime and enable easy relayout.
Org Chart Shapes
The shapes are categorized into 3 groups, basic shapes, photo org chart shapes and custom shapes. They are in vector format which are highly scaled. Each one is designed with connectors. After the shapes are connected, they will stay glued even when you move them.
These shapes are pre-drawn so that users can save lots of time and effort. All can be resized, recolored and rotated.
Org Chart Templates
Aplenty of templates are offered. The templates are amazing since they are flexibly edited. Just easily replace the content, make some modifications and make it your own org chart. Check out some examples below. Click this link to get more org chart templates.